The Open Gate Foundation
In 1987 members of the Harvard Gay and Lesbian Caucus established a private charitable foundation, The Open Gate: a Fund for Gay and Lesbian Life at Harvard University . The Open Gate has tax-exempt status and all contributions are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.
The generosity of Caucus members has enabled The Open Gate to provide funding for a variety of activities and events, among them:
- The HGLC Public Service Fellowship , for which the 2011 application deadline is March 21.
- The Resource Center for Queer Students and Allies (QSA, formerly BGLTSA)
- Symposia on such topics as same-sex marriage, the biological basis of sexual orientation, and religion and sexual orientation
- Film series illuminating sexual orientation and its cultural context
- Performances, exhibits, and publications
- Student and faculty research projects
The Open Gate is continuing to fund a variety of projects at Harvard initiated by GLBT students, faculty, or organizations. The Open Gate offers guidelines that explain How to Apply for Grants .
Donate By Mail
The continued work of The Open Gate depends on your generosity. Please send your contribution to The Open Gate, One Corliss Place , Cambridge , MA 02139 . Contributors of $100 or more receive membership in the Caucus, including the Newsletter and the Gay and Lesbian Review .
You may also donate online by entering a value above. Clicking "Open Gate Contribution" will bring you to PayPal. If you are not a PayPal member, choose that option on the PayPal screen and you will be prompted to directly enter your credit card number.
To communicate with The Open Gate, please send an e-mail to